MCJ Posted on Tuesday, March 1, 2016 at 23:17
On request: how I make Spätzle and Kässpätzle.
- 100-150g flour (Germans use type 405; plain flour is okay)
- 1 egg
- ~30 ml tap water (or bubbly mineral water if you’re fancy)
- A generous pinch of salt
Note: Each egg can be replaced by ~60 ml water
- Spätzle press (potato/noodle ricer) OR
- Dough scraper OR
- Sharp knife
- Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl. Gradually mix in the the flour and salt.
- Gradually mix in the water until the dough reaches the desired consistency. This is tricky to describe; I aim for something that’s just a little effortful to mix. You want it to ‘stretch’ a little, not run, but it should also be damp. Drier dough will lead to larger, thicker spätzle than wetter dough. If you are not using a spätzle press, make the dough a little runnier.
- (Optional) Beat the dough with a wooden spoon, mixing air into it. This will make your spätzle fluffier. Bubble mineral water (rather than tap water) complements this step.
- Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let it rest for 20-30 minutes, or until impatient.
- Heat a large pot of salted water until boiling.
- Squeeze the spätzle dough through the press into the water OR
- Dampen a wooden board, put some (runnier) dough on it, and ‘scrape’ little blobs off with the dough scraper or knife. You can go for $2 pieces or thin strips; up to you. Into the water!
- When the dough floats to the surface, remove it with a slotted spoon or similar.
- If you’re making a larger quantity, put the finished spätzle into a casserole dish with a little butter and keep them in the oven at 50°C.
As above for the spätzle.
For 500g of flour, add
- 300g of grated cheese (Gouda or Emmentaler)
- Two onions, sliced into rings
- As above until the dough is resting (step 4)
- Cut the onions into rings and fry with pepper until glassy.
- Heat an oven to 200°C
- Cook the spätzle as above, then add to an oven-proof dish, alternating layers with the cheese and onions
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted
- Cook the spätzle
- Fry everything up in a pan